Every now and then I take a picture that rocks. It doesn't happen often. Quite often I have to overlook a flaw and just be satisfied with what I like about the picture. This is one such shot. It has everything I was looking for anytime I'm taking pictures of family. There's expression, joy, emotion and spontaneity. That is one of the best looks I have ever gotten from any small child. Yet, there is also a serious flaw. The shot is out of focus and grainy (noisy in digital photography speak). With this picture I finally learned my lesson about using a manual focus lens to take pictures of a fast moving small child.
I have decided to start fresh with this space Google has provided for me. I take a lot of digital pictures. I am not a Pro photographer. I don't pretend that I could ever make a dime taking pictures. But I walk, drive, ride around every chance I get taking pictures of things that I might find interesting. I'm going to post them on Google+ and here as an album or albums depending on how well I can figure out how to work Google's toolkit. Hopefully I can get some feedback on the relative worth of my stuff which could lead to making me a better picture taker. Every summer I try to get shots of these moths attracted to the flowers in my wife's garden. They are fast and as agile as a hummingbird which makes it hard to get a good picture of one. This old girl spun a web in one of our barberry bushes. If I could have gotten the background in focus she would have been nearly invisible.
Being dissatisfied with the photo of Dawson Bridge I went there today to see if I could revisit that shot. The fog wasn't thick enough to obscure the opposite end of the bridge so that idea washed out. As I was packing up to leave I looked up the river and had to take this picture. What the raw file looked like. The clouds and the reflection off the river create some strong diagonal lines that give some perspective to the picture. The thing that stops the composition is the entire right side of the image is the dark bank of the river and the messy naked trees along the bank. What I'll do here is go through my editing process in order to record how I tried to make something better from this image. All adjustments made in Capture One. Xrite color checker shot. As shot. In the white balance section I pick the eye dropper and select one of the neutral grey squares. After picking the grey neutral square. After picking the white balan...
Comments