The 150-600 telephoto is a good tool for getting close up photos of insects and other critters. This is a small collection of dragonfly pictures I took last week. I generally have the lens and camera mounted on a monopod with a ball head that has the mount plate at a 90° so as to give the lens a gimble actiion. It takes a bigger monopod to handle the weight of this lens and camera so I have an alumininm Sirui P-204S with an aluminum three footed base (chicken foot). It isn't quite the same as trucking around a tripiod but it's still a load. Celithemis eponina or Halloween Pennant Erythemis simplicicollis or Common Pondhawk Erythemis simplicicollis or Common Pondhawk Libellula luctuosa or Widow skimmer Hummingbird Moth Hemaris Diffinis_Aug 06 2020
Popular posts from this blog
By
Charlie
Every now and then I take a picture that rocks. It doesn't happen often. Quite often I have to overlook a flaw and just be satisfied with what I like about the picture. This is one such shot. It has everything I was looking for anytime I'm taking pictures of family. There's expression, joy, emotion and spontaneity. That is one of the best looks I have ever gotten from any small child. Yet, there is also a serious flaw. The shot is out of focus and grainy (noisy in digital photography speak). With this picture I finally learned my lesson about using a manual focus lens to take pictures of a fast moving small child.
By
Charlie
Recently I got a Chance to get out my fly rod and go fishing a a tiny trout stream in Elk County, PA. I decided to make it more about photo taking than fishing and, trust me, no fish were harmed in the making of these photos. The first thing you notice about streams that are suitable for native wild trout is the fact that they are heavily forested over. Little sunlight reaches this creek. Since the water sees little sunlight from the time it emerges from ground until the stream wanders into more open farm country it is pretty cold. As you can see from the picture, at this time of year the flow of the stream is low and slow. there aren't a lot of nutrients for fish and consequently the fish are small. The wild brook trout are from four to six inches generally. To find one bigger is rare. They are survivors and therefore spooky when it comes to trying to present a dry fly. So while I saw fish here and there and on two occasions I entice...


Comments